Thursday, August 23, 2012

I am the queen of Tejano Music!

 So, I've been sitting here lip-syncing to Eminem for a good 20 minutes in my room. Weirdo you say? How about it's my process asshole! 
 

Do people laugh at James Earl Jones doing those strange vocal exercises? Nope! Hes gotta keep that voice deep and gravely or he is nothing but a large black man with freckles! or is that Morgan Freeman? I don't know. No but really it is my process. For some reason Eminem songs make me want to be productive. If I am on a treadmill and Eminem comes on, I just start sprinting. If I am cooking, I begin to chop frantically to the beat. If I am in the shower, I aggressively shampoo my bits'n'pieces. These moments are usually accompanied by a generic stank face and various forms of fist pumping or chest bumping the air. The other end of this would be when that bitch Sarah Mclachlan comes on, you are instantly demotivated and begin to weep into a dying flower, or is that just me? I guess her songs motivate you to think about if you have appropriate funeral garb or whether or not you could handle saving a dog with one eye and half a leg from a trash compactor. I couldn't do it. If you don't see it, it didn't happen.  Ever wonder why Mexicans clean so well? It's all in the music. I was washing dishes one day and some sweet sweet cumbias from our beloved Selena came on. I found myself wide-eyed, bobbing my head back and forth scrubbing the door. As I did the Salsa. So, if you want you're house to sparkle, SELENA! 

MEXICAN UPDATE - I had a margarita at a Mexican dive. There were at least 6 Mexicans present. I think they live under the restaurant. 

 Really the point is, music can totally change your mood and intentions for that 4 and a half minutes. Powerful shit. Can we change someones mood for that amount of time? I mean I guess if you stand in their way and clumsily flail about blocking their path you could. You could scream FUCKPOOP in their ear, that might change their mood. Maybe music isn't so fucking special now that I think about it. Nope, yea it is. Songs can instantly transport you back to a very specific time. Any song from that bubblegum pop era will make me burst into a shouldery dance. Shouldery is a word if you were wondering. Go to school, look it up. Any Regina Spektor song takes me back to those days when me and a few others basically founded YouTube. Do you know who Brookers is? Ya I didn't think so, but I do! Okay mostly we just all spent our days in a chat room talking about how we were 16 and liked playing with cameras, but it was before any of you all knew about YouTube, so suck on it.

Really though the long end of the short end or the thing of it is - There is a soundtrack to each of our lives. I wonder what songs will remind me of this time in my life? Which songs will take me back to this moment, and give me that nostalgic feeling. I guess time will tell.

As always - Catch ya on the flip side Gordo!


No comments:

Post a Comment